Marolyn Morford, Ph.D. / Child & Adult Development 110 Regent Court, Suite 103 State College, PA 16801 (814) 237-0551 x6 FAX (814) 237-0564

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Can I use my health insurance to pay for visits to the office? In many cases, yes; the clinicians cooperate with many health insurance companies, particularly the Blue Cross/Blue Shield families. Some insurance companies and HMOs, however, reimburse at far below the rate we are able to accept and cover our business costs. In this case, we can work out a payment arrangement, depending on your needs.
  • Can I see you if you are not listed by my insurance provider? Absolutely! In fact, there are a number of advantages to paying ‘privately’, without insurance. Individuals who pay directly can be assured that only they and their care provider have access to their records (all insurance companies require information about a diagnosis, and some require information about the type of services you receive here). In addition, you alone will decide how long and at what frequency you wish to see someone, as opposed to the insurance company or HMO deciding for you. You can also see any provider you wish to see, not just those on the list provided by the insurance company.
  • I’ve heard that some people see therapists for years. I can’t afford to do that timewise or moneywise. Because of our emphasis on health and helping you make changes that make a real difference for you, most of our work is short term. Sometimes we only need to work together for 2 or 3 sessions. We find that we can generally identify and try out a plan with the client or their family within 4-6 weeks. After that, if needed, visits can be scheduled every 2, 3, or 4 weeks. Psychiatry appointments are often monthly for 15 minutes(after the first 1 hour appointment) but may also be every 2 or 3
  • I don’t know if I should see a psychologist or psychiatrist. What’s the difference? We get this question all the time! We both have a college degree (B.A. or B.S.). A psychologist has both a Master’s Degree (M.A. or M.S.) and Ph.D. (3-4 years of additional coursework after college and 2 years of supervised training) She provides evaluations, assessments, treatment, and educational workshops. The psychiatrist has 4 years of coursework beyond the B.A. for the medical degree (M.D.), plus 3 years of supervised work and additional training beyond that in the area of child and adolescent disorders. A psychiatrist can evaluate and primarily treats with medication, but can also provide some ‘talk therapy’ and educational activities.  We have both passed national licensing exams in our practice areas.
  • What can I expect at my first visit? Your first visit will take at least one hour in interview with us.  We will discuss your concerns, your goals and any relevant history. We will ask you to arrive 15 minutes early to fill out paper work that registers you with the office. This paperwork includes information about your insurance if you use it to pay for services, how we may contact you for future scheduling, information about our office policies and how your health information is used (HIPAA form).  We may also have you complete a problem list or other rating form that will give us a better idea of how we may help you.
  • Where are you located? Is there parking? Our office is easily accessible by car or public transportation and there is free parking. We are within a healthy walk of the Penn State Campus, approximately 1.25 miles west of downtown, on the K and S bus lines, just past Corl Street. The Waffle Shop and the Penn State Blue Course Golf Course are just down the street. Please see the map.
  • What are your hours? We are open Monday-Thursdays 8:45 to 5:30 and by special appointment only on Fridays.
  • Are there any former clients I can contact about your services? We cannot provide the names of individuals because we protect the privacy of those who consult with us. You are welcome, however, to contact professional groups in the area, such as Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at Penn State, or any of the other professional offices to ask about us.